Thursday, September 7, 2017

______________________ BACK ON THE MOORING ______________________


'Mariner' had been out of the water for about three months, so it was with a great feeling of relief that I motor back to the piles earlier this week. I had the help of my good mate David whose help was indispensable. We towed Riverside Drive Marinas very fat flat bottomed work with us and had to row back to our cars at the Marina against the wind and tide. It was Fathers Day and what better way to for the old bugger to celebrate by putting his little ship safely back on her mooring.

Today after having spent a couple of days completing some fiber glassing repairs on my own little dinghy I lifted it onto my roof rack (bloody near killed me), transported it down to the pontoon and rowed out to 'Mariner'. I ran the engine for an hour to fully charge the battery and stowed the rest of the boat gear.

One of the little jobs I completed was the installation of a 12volt car charging socket directly to the boat battery so that I could plug in my new small battery maintenance solar cell. This should ensure no more flat batteries after longish periods of inactivity.

When I had completed the work I turned the motor off and sat in the small cabin, glad that the big back breaking work and all the worry and expensive was over. I have a longish list of small jobs to complete but this is manageable and will be easy and pleasant work to complete over time.

So I sat in my little cabin and listened to the sound of the water chuckling against the hull, the thrum of the wind in the rigging and felt the gentle rocking of the boat as she pulled on her mooring ropes.

There are some favourite lines from W. B. Yeats:

"And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow, 
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings
    There midnight's all a-glimmer, and noon a purple glow, 
And evening full of the linnet's wings"
                                   
It wasn't morning; I couldn't hear any crickets or see any linnets; but I think you might get my drift.

6 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

..I certainly do... nothing like it... the gentle movement, sun though the hatch and porthole curtains, and water splashing against the hull.. and that smell of "boat".. bit petrol/diesel, bit sea... lovely!!

Alden Smith said...

Steve, it's a universal brotherhood - those of us who understand these things about small boats, sailing and the insights that this activity brings. : > )

Nutmegknitting said...

Alden

Well done for all the hard work, I'm with Steve sometimes you don't need to go sailing, just sit back and enjoy.

Nice mooring you have there.

Max (using Mrs Bursledonblog's computer this morning)

Alden Smith said...

Thanks Max. I am glad the work is over and with summer on the way it will be good to go sailing again.

The mooring is only a couple of minutes down the hill from where we live, so its nice and close. I can be on board in about 15 minutes after rowing out from the dinghy pontoon.

Ben said...

Happy sailing!
And racing?

Alden Smith said...

Thanks Ben. Mainly cruising I think, although I would like to enter 'Mariner' in the Auckland to Russell Coastal Classic sometime. Apart from that it's mainly cruising - peace and quiet in snug anchorages.