Monday, February 8, 2016

_____________________ THINKING OF SUMMER ________________________


Viewing this photograph reminded me of flying over this area in 1976 with my father and his old sailing mate Ron Lloyd who had given up sailing and taken up flying. He had flown his little Piper aircraft all the way up to Whangarei from Christchurch and we did a coastal trip up to the Bay of Islands and back. Though the views were spectacular it didn't cure me of my slight apprehension about flying. I would rather be down there anchored in one of the beautiful bays.

The trip wasn't enhanced when Ron lit up his pipe and filled the little aeroplance with smoke and I remember landing back at Whangarei airport very 'green around the gills'.

To get to my hometown of Whangarei you turn to starboard at Cape Brett which is the headland at the very top of this photograph.

No comments: