Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Starling Project - Part 36

Another days work. I have now almost finished sanding back the center board, rudder blade and rudder head. The rudder  blade was originally painted but I am going to varnish this part of the rudder this time round. It will save another round of primer, undercoat and finishing coats of paint. The rudder head is too marked and showing too many repairs to varnish, but that's ok as it will blend in painted the same colour as the hull.

It's small tasks such as this, one at a time that marks the boats renovation. The boat didn't have a tiller when I bought it so I will have to make a new one. Tomorrow morning I will give the hull another coat of white undercoat before a final sanding and finishing coats of white paint.

2 comments:

Bursledon Blogger said...

I enjoy making and or refinishing the details, I guess it's smaller work than building the hull seems more fun and a bit zen in that I seem to enjoy the work rather than rushing to finish.

It's Looking good

Alden Smith said...

Max, like your good self I "enjoy the work rather than rushing to finish". Many years ago when I built 'Mariner' I was in a huge rush to finish the build. Such an attitude was probably a good thing (It took me four years to complete the project) but I didn't have the time or the inclination to enjoy myself as much as perhaps I could have. Now that I am retired and have a lot more time, the word I would use to describe working on my various boat projects is 'joy', which may sound a a bit 'naff' to some, but that's the truth of it, it's all a great joy. I sense the same 'joy' when I read a blog we both follow 'Bills Blog' and his adventures sailing his great little boat "Pike".