Friday, April 24, 2015

The Starling Project - Part 11

Here I have placed on a large sheet of plywood the fairly rudimentary cardboard patterns of the plywood planks whose shapes I obtained by placing the cardboard on the yachts framing and tracing the shapes. The shapes are all a little bit oversize. I will trim any excess off once they have been glued and nailed to the hull.

A start has been made! The first cockpit panel is now glued and nailed in place. This stage is all reasonably easy and pleasant work. I think there is a boat building tradition where when the last plank (The 'shutter plank')  is screwed and nailed the boat builder (s) celebrate with a keg of beer. Can't wait!

2 comments:

Ben said...

Good use of old rulers, especially because they were measuring inches.

Alden Smith said...

I have a number of yacht plans all in the old measurement (feet and inches). If I want to build them I will have to find some imperial measurement rulers - a bit difficult as New Zealand went decimal in 1967. - I will pick up some useful feet and inches measuring rulers when I next visit the USA or England.